GOLF CARTS AND SIMILAR CONVEYANCES
77.01 PURPOSE. The purpose of this chapter is to regulate the operation of golf carts on certain streets in the City, as authorized by Section 321.247 of the Code of Iowa, as amended. This chapter shall be applicable whenever a golf cart is operated on any street or alley, within the City as provided in this chapter.
77.02 DEFINITIONS. "Golf cart" is defined as a motorized vehicle with three or four wheels that is not designed to be operated at a speed of more than 25 miles per hour, whose purpose can include, but is not limited to, the playing of golf and is generally designed to carry persons including the driver.
77.03 OPERATION OF GOLF CARTS PERMITTED. Golf carts may be operated upon the streets of Lake Park, Iowa, by persons who are at least 16 years of age and possess a valid Iowa operator’s license, except as otherwise prohibited by this chapter or the Code of Iowa.
77.04 PROHIBITED STREETS. Golf carts shall not be operated upon any City street which is a primary road extension through the City. However, golf carts may cross such a primary road extension. Market Street and M27 (135th Ave.) are hereby designated as primary road extensions in Lake Park, Iowa.
- Equipment. Golf carts operated upon streets within the City of Lake Park shall be equipped with at least the following:
- Slow moving vehicle sign;
- A bicycle safety flag, the top of which shall be a minimum of 5 feet from ground level; if cart has a canopy the flag must be above the canopy;
- Adequate brakes.
- Hours. Golf carts may be operated on City streets from sunrise to sunset. (As per Code of Iowa Section 321.247)
- Speed. No golf cart shall be operated at a speed in excess of the lesser of 25 mph or a posted speed limit, nor shall any golf cart be operated at a speed greater than is reasonable and proper for the existing conditions.
- Sidewalks. Golf carts shall not be operated upon sidewalks.
- Parking. Golf carts shall not be operated upon that portion of a street right-ofway between the curb or edge of street paving and the sidewalk referred to as "the parking."
- Seating Requirements. The driver of every golf cart operated on any public street or right of way is required to insure that all passengers of the golf cart are seated on a seat designed for use in a golf cart. If the golf cart has a bench seat, no more than three people shall be seated on it. No person shall be allowed to ride upon the lap of another person or in any portion of the golf cart not designed for seated passengers. If the golf cart has safety belts installed, all occupants shall use those belts.
77.06 RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES. Every person operating a golf cart upon a street or alley shall be granted all of the rights and privileges and shall be subject to all the duties and obligations applicable to the driver of a motor vehicle and to the motor vehicle laws of the City and State declaring the rules of the road applicable to the driver of the vehicle, except as to those provisions which by their nature can have no application. All City parking regulations are applicable to golf carts. It is unlawful for any parent, guardian, or other person having the care, custody, and control of a minor under the age of 16 years to knowingly or negligently permit or allow such a minor to violate the provisions of this chapter.
(Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.219)
77.07 GOLF CART INSURANCE. Financial responsibility is required. The owner/operator of every golf cart being operated upon the streets and alleys of the City shall have in effect liability insurance covering operation of the golf cart in the same limits, as required of automobiles by the financial responsibility provision of Section 321A, Code of Iowa.